And here's my favorite chocolate cake recipe (recipe from my friend's cookbook).. She baked for me several times.. I love it...!
- 1 1/2 cups cake flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 (1 ounce) squares unsweetened chocolate
- 2 tablespoons butter (no substitutes)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 (1 ounce) square unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 cup hot coffee or water
- 4 1/2 teaspoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking soda and salt; set aside. In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the chocolate and butter. Cover and microwave on hight for 1 minute. Stir; cook 30 seconds longer or until melted.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the buttermilk, oil and egg. Add to dry ingredients; beat just until combined. Add the chocolate mixture and vanilla. Pour into a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Bake at 350 degrees F for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- For frosting, in a saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch, salt and chocolate; stir in the coffee until blended. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir until mixture is thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in the butter and vanilla. Spread warm frosting over cake.